Dad found this great book at the library--It is a book about words.
THE LOST LANGUAGE EDITION
A collection of forgotten-yet-delightful words, phrases, praises, idioms and literary
flourishes from eras past....by Lesley Blume
Flipping through the pages and I found....one of Therese's favorites-
The Bee's Knees
"Saying thank you is such a trite way of expressing gratitude.
Instead, tell a deserving someone that he or she is
the "bee's knees"
i.e., "absolutely the best!"
Other 1920's delightfully inane animal kingdom compliments include:
The cat's meow The cat's pajamas The duck's quack
The eel's ankle The oyster's earrings The tiger's spots.
Another few phrases we use around here:
KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF. To surprise or impress someone.
DO YOU WANT A KNUCKLE SANDWICH??
A punch in the mouth or another way to say it- A "bunch of fives"
PIZZAZZ A mid century word for "dash" or "flair"
FAIR TO MIDDLING: "only average"
RAISE A RUCKUS: "make a noisy fuss"
KIT AND CABOODLE: "everything big and small"
I am going to keep reading but I think we should revive a few of these!
Farewell:
Such a poignant and lovely way to say "goodbye".
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment