07 July 2011

The Garden in our Backyard


"Each garden has its own surprise." -Susan Toth
I have been spending time every day in the garden. The new sprinklers in the backyard are making all the difference in the way things are growing...(.just goes to show- in the science projects of my life- that gardens need a steady supply of water.)
Today I picked some raspberries. (Yeah!) I think I am saving them up for some jam.
We have had a few strawberries here and there-(enough for granddaughters to pick and eat anyway.) We have had lettuce and spinach and I think the radishes are ready too.
.........but the thing I am the very best at growing is MORNING GLORY! (Yuck!)
I am not sure why Heavenly Father created the weed. The roots are deep and hard to find in the raspberry bushes and I have it growing out in the lawn even. It wraps its viney wirey little weed leaves around everything... I am not fond of morning glory. I don't like it one little bit. Curses on morning glory.
So - every morning for at least 1 hour I go out into the garden to pull this menace out of the garden spaces in my backyard. 1 hour a day does not touch the problem. . . but I am counting it as part of my exercise program. It should count - shouldn't it???

Now in the front yard at the moment-
the roses are fabulous, the lavender is particularly wonderful this year, the ground cover is going marvelously wild and the green weeds in the front garden don't seem to show up so much! (Yeah)

"Working in the garden gives me an inner peace. Nothing here is in a hurry. There is no rush. Here is the great mystery of life and growth. Everything is changing, growing, aiming at something, but silently, unboastfully, taking its time." - Ruth Stout

How does your garden grow??
Love,
Mom



2 comments:

Jones Family said...

I join your curse at Morning Glory! And your yard does look fab- yay for new sprinklers!

Spence said...

Just a little reminder about morning glory and other like kinds of voluntary growing things. One word... Genesis.

You are an awesome gardener with a work ethic that is amazing. That's why I love you.