- Kenny G - The guy is a phenomenal musician and his music is some of the most popular stuff of the last decade or two. You can hear it in almost any grocery store or elevator. How can that many people be wrong?
- Michael Buble - Who would've thunk we'd ever have crooners again. MB brought back a type of music that was lost. He raised the dead. And he's doing a pretty good job of it. Move over Sinatra, Dean, Perry, Andy, Bing, Sammy, and so on.
- The Duke, John Wayne - Maybe not the best actor in history, but certainly one of the most iconic and influential we've had. Hey, look what happened to Ronald Reagan... I don't remember anyone saying he was a really great actor. The Duke's movies are classic... if only because he's in them.
- Roger Miller - How can you find fault with the voice of the minstrel (Robin Hood)? This guy writes songs from the gut... like 'Dang Me', 'You Got To Again', and the all-time classic, 'You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd.'
- Iron Will - One of the best movies in recent history (like my lifetime). Great story, great characters, inspirational, could even make you cry if you let yourself get into it. And hey, there aren't that many left on VHS that can live up to those credentials.
- Shackelton (The Boxed Set) - Adventure, Romance, History, Intrigue, Man Conquers Nature, Handsome Leading Man and Beautiful Women, specials, behind the scenes, and I think maybe two sequels. Six words: What more are you looking for?
- Murphy's Romance - Ok. Did you know that James Garner is a legend? The guy is one of the best actors of our time. Pair him with Sally Field, and you've got CHEMISTRY! Think of what this represents... Maverick going after Gidget... the Flying Nun playing hard to get with Rockford, the tough cop. It just doesn't get any better.
So this is just a partial list, but the point is, just because you personally aren't attracted to these people and movies, doesn't mean they aren't fantastic. Put them all in your playlist in the next week or two, I think you'll be surprised what you find!
One more late addition: an expert in western movies recently recommended that we all reconsider one of the absolute classic westerns of all time, 'Fievel Goes West'. If it's been a year or two since you last watched it, give it a run, you'll love those western vistas and the beautiful music by Copland (or somebody kind of like him).
3 comments:
Just for the record, I am not anti any of these singers/movies I just like other singers/movies better.
Murphy's Romance does NOT deserve "another chance"!
Ok, Ok. I'm willing to give the list another chance. But I draw the line at Kenny G!
(and don't worry Dad....I "get" it!)
Post a Comment