
Today in my backyard I saw a Western Tanager. Yes- bright yellow and black with a bold red head. It flew right into my Lilac bush and then over to the shed roof. I loved seeing it.
Back (along time ago) when I was a kid, we would see 30 or 40 of these birds at the cabin bird feeder almost every day. My grandfather loved watching birds and would talk to us about the Montana state bird- the tanager. We had bird watching identification books and often sat and gazed out the picture window watching dozens of different kinds of birds. So today when I saw this bright colored bird in my own back yard - memories totally drenched me and I wanted to tell someone....I called my dad but he wasn't home...so -
now I am calling each one of you!
Good times and amazing memories of the cabin.
It's almost summer! You know what that means.
Love you all.
Mom
4 comments:
Great memories. I've always loved that little bird. It reminds me of grandpa and of you.
That is one of the bird names I actually know! It reminds me of the cabin, too!
I saw one on my way to work the other day! I wanted to call you.
Now, I never figured you for an ornithologist. If you know the name of anything, you can develop more of an emotional attachment to it or to them, can't you. I think naming things is one of the traits that makes us human. Beautiful little bird, yet most of us would never notice it. You must have had an awesome grandpa. One thing I have noticed about memories is that I keep trying to relive them or rather make them happen again. I am finding that that is no longer possible and I have to just live in the present.
Post a Comment