This morning for some odd reason I was thinking about my childhood bedroom.
I know "totally random"!
I was thinking back on how much I loved my pink room.
It transformed into a different room when I was a teen but my childhood room was white and pink. Even though I don't ever remember having the favorite color of pink this room was wonderful and positively perfect in every little girl way.
I grew up in a house on 2529 Casto Lane. The house has long since been torn down and the property has several condo's on it now but when I was growing up it was a big magical and delightful house on 3 acres of horse property. I will have to write about the house some day but today it is my childhood room.
It was a corner bedroom with three windows. Three glorious crank open windows. I am know they were were not air tight- one led off onto the garage roof-(which I did climb out of once or twice. . . but that will have to be another memory post.)
I loved my room.
It was across from my dads green tile bathroom. This bathroom had a shower...so it was called my dads bathroom. The downstairs peach colored bathroom had a bathtub..so it was my moms bathroom. My brothers Tom and Dave had the room next to mine- right directly coming up the stairs. Their room was bigger than mine and had the "laundry shoot" in one of the closets. That also could be a whole other chapter. Today its just my room.
In my bedroom I had two twin size 4 post beds, a night stand, a tall white dresser and a desk with drawers on either side. They were all hand-painted. (I am not sure of the story of the painting, (I will have to get the low down from my mom on that story) The headboards of the twin beds were glossy white with pink flowery, wreathy (is that word?) hand painting on them. The flowers surrounded fancy scripty words. One said "Alyson" on it and the other said "My friend". I loved having friend sleepovers in my room and my friends loved having a bed of their own. The dainty painted flowers were mostly pink with highlights of yellow, green and blue. I had light pink bedspreads. The tall 4 drawer dresser, night stand and desk were also painted white with matching flower pink embellishments on them. The dresser and the desk had a little fence like thing around the top edge. I know that sounds different but I can picture it in my mind and it was not strange. It was adorable. I loved sitting at the desk and pretending to write letters, diary pages or even homework if the top of the desk was not full of trinkets. Kind of like my dresser now.
My room had 2 walk in closets. Yes 2. Not huge like a "full on room" walk in closet but a closet that you could walk into and have plenty of room to get dressed. One of the closet doors had a full length mirror on it. (I think when they were going to tear the house down Grandpa sold all the hard solid wood doors and mirror doors in the house for $5. each!) One closet was mine; it had my clothes and shoes and junk in it. Shelves on one side and a hang rod in the back. I had stuff like- little jewelry boxes with earrings and necklaces, and books and diaries. And piles of papers, and old treasures that a child might like to keep around for no reason. The other closet had some of my moms seasonal clothes in it. I think it also held my Barbie house, Barbie clothes box and Barbies.
When I was a teenager my mom and dad had their designer friend- Richins decorate my room in BOLD colors and designs. Bright yellow, orange and green. Very Bright. I got the wicker bed frame and white furniture that Grammy has downstairs in her Grammy room (with the costume closet). My mom gave my "little girl" furniture to the Smurthwaites- Sherri and her sisters enjoyed them for a while and painted over the flowers. Once (when Sherri and Brent were in their first home) I saw the tall dresser in her garage. It was definitely the dresser- way beat up though. It had been painted several times and I asked her about the other furniture. She said she thought the little desk and headboards fell off the back of the truck that was helping them move one time. She didn't know that my heart immediately sank. It was sad and heavy. I think I felt a little ping of anger that they didn't love it like I did- pink flowers and all.
My memories of the pink painted furniture are fun to think about. It brings a flood of Casto Lane memories back. I will have to write another "reminiscing post". Mostly for myself. But thanks for listening/reading.
It's great to be old sometimes...
Bee
2 comments:
I love this.
It reminded me of my childhood room with exercising cats on the wall and a big white squeaky bed.
Love this. Thanks for sharing, mom!
Post a Comment