15 October 2010

"Fall is natures last glorious burst of energy before winter closes in."

On our screen saver we have an autumn tree exploding in bright yellow gold, orange and red. I love this time of year! I think I heard Bailey say that Fall is her favorite season. It is clearly a season of change. Change is a good thing. It helps us realize that the Lord planned for seasons and for change.
I think I relish this time of year because I slow down a little bit. . .
School is in full swing but I have adjusted to the schedule and relax about my list making.
Peaches! Peaches! Peaches! Spence and I go on a diet of fresh peaches this time of year. We are forlorn when they disappear and we are forced into waiting until the next August.
I think about the holidays-Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. October brings the "Aunt Alyson Halloween Party". November brings the gratitude dinner with my children and about now-October, I start trying to discover a need, want and a book title for each person in my family for Christmas. I have collected some sensational ones this year!
I haven't been over doing the weeding in my yard but I relish going out for a while and puttering around. I like collecting the tomatoes, the carrots, the beets. (Longing for a few onions though!) I totally embrace the weeds and let them go right along being weeds! Brynn helped me make some salsa last night and there is definitely nothing wrong with fresh salsa from the garden!
I watch the mountain. It slowly changes from green to earth-tone autumn and soon it will be frosted with snow. It stands tall throughout its modify. It's a patient and quiet mountain of strength. A good example for me.

Autumn is a time to reflect and ponder, imagine and rejoice.
What could be more delightful than an Autumn day and it's burst of energy?
Remember the old saying-
"For every leaf you catch before it hits the ground, you will have one lucky day in the year to come."

Take a day to go catch some leaves. Love you all.
Mom



3 comments:

Spence said...

No comments yet? Well... I guess, how can you add anything to that? A most amazing wife indeed.

Anna Lois said...

It is always interesting to read your thoughts on the seasons, on child raising, on the gospel, etc. I admire your positive perspective. I don't, now, but when I lived in Utah, the beautiful autumn made me full of dread. It's that half empty perspective. I remember the first year I taught in Lompoc, CA, when I realized that I could just give up the dread. Of course, raspberries would certainly distract one from the dread of winter. Great that you still have veggies. I have broccoli planted, but need an idea to stop the cabbage worms. I would pick them off, but I can't find them. They are eating, though.

Anna Lois said...

Just an addition about the mountain. Your comment resonated with me because I used to do the same thing. Particularly when I went to Oly, I watched the mountain change in more than occasional drifts from looking at my English teacher to looking out the window. Year after year, I seemed to have English class in the same room and from that window, watched the seasons change on the mountain.

I guess fall has come to Victorville because my geraniums froze last night, but the broccoli plants which survived the worms also survived the frost. Would you believe the Palmers are camping in the cold in Death Valley. B-r-r-r.