22 January 2009

You Choose

Here are some lyrics to one of my favorite Paul Overstreet songs:

I'm seein' my father in me
I guess that's how it's meant to be
And I find I'm more and more like him each day
I notice I walk the way he walks
I notice I talk the way he talks
I'm startin' to see my father in me

I remember answering the phone in the months after my Dad died. I scared a few people because they thought I was Dad (resurrected). I had acquired his voice, inflections, and many of his mannerisms and habits. I was kind of proud of that, because I loved and admired much about him.

Being a dad is fantastic, being a grandfather is even fantasticker! However, there is one sort of horrifying reality that I have noticed. My children have taken on not only some of my admirable traits, but perhaps also some of my glaring flaws of character. I cringe when I realize that my example may be impairing the growth and happiness of a loved one. I'm not sure what I can do about it, but here's what I'm going to try.  I am going to attempt changing a few things about me that I don't like.  I hope you'll notice over the years and effect change in yourselves as well. Also, I'm going to give advice occasionally (Surprise!) and I ask that you consider it and adjust. I'm also going to ask that everyone consider that taking on the traits of another person is a choice; please choose carefully. I'm okay with seeing myself in each of you, but it hurts when I don't see my 'best self' emulated.

Here's some advice.  We all limit ourselves by fear, especially fear of failure.  One of my biggest challenges-- let's work on that.  

"Failure seldom stops you. What stops you is the fear of failure."-- Jack Lemmon

I am constantly AMAZED at the beauty, talent, compassion, and fabulous potential that each of you possess. Be brave, be bold, have the courage to try everything, anything. . . you will succeed.  And your occasional failures will teach you and mold you into someone more wonderful and wise than before.

1 comment:

Jones Family said...

I love you, Dad! You are the best dad and PaPa ever. We are lucky to have someone who cares about us and how we turn out. I'm on board with this idea!